Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Different View on Depression & the Story of Stuff

Hi, all.

I just found this article in Scientific American so interesting I thought I'd share. It's an article exploring the possibility of depression as a preserved evolutionary function to help animals (humans included) analyze complex social problems by focusing solely on those problems. I've never been truly depressed myself (my closest understanding would be from PMS), but it's an interesting thinkpiece.

Also, for anyone I may have missed when I sent out an email on the Story of Stuff, just click here and it'll direct you to the video. It's 20 min, but an interesting watch. I don't agree with all the premises or the occasional misleading cartoony depiction, but my husband and I have had an interesting time thinking about the content. (We also love to analyze films, so we had fun picking it apart.)

Happy think-piecing!

No comments:

Post a Comment