Friday, October 9, 2009

My Lizard Friend and the Amazing Yellow Spider


This is my friend the lizard. We have lots of lizards around here, but this one will always be dear to my heart. Those you spend time on always are.

My daughters found this little guy (or girl) one day on the edge of one of my seedling containers. I was amazed at how close he let us get. Then they found him the next day. I thought he'd just found a nice spot that he liked. On day three, though, I knew something was amiss. I checked and realized he was caught by some duct tape I'd used to secure the container. I had accidentally left some of the tape exposed and his/her fine toes had been caught.

I cut the tape off and, wearing gloves, I carefully used a small knife to extract his body from the tape. It took about a half hour, but at the end, he/she only lost a few scales. I will never carelessly apply duct tape again.


This is a spider I barely noticed. One of my daughters had asked me five minutes before I noticed the spider if she could pick this particular flower. I'm so glad I told her no! Isn't this an amazing camouflage?

2 comments:

  1. k...that spider would have freaked me out! Logan would have gone to get a shoe. He is quite fond of killing any bug that gets near his foot. Poor lizard! I never would have thought that it would have gotten stuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad for the lizard! I'm glad you saved him. I'm also glad you spotted the spider. So horribly freaky!

    ReplyDelete