Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Knit/Crochet Dishloth with Tulle and Yarn


So, perhaps this isn't the most loverly dishcloth you've ever seen. For me, I had some extra green tulle a friend had given me and didn't know what to do with it. I also had some leftover cotton yarn. I had seen knit and crocheted dishcloths before. They looked like fun, but I regretted them not having more scrubbing power. Inspiration was in combining the cotton yarn with the tulle.

I just used a garter stitch for the rough part. To make that, I simply wrapped 1/2"-1" strips of tulle around the yarn as I went. I did that for 1"-2", making a nice scrubbing edge. Then I did the stockinette stitch for the rest. Total, it measures about 4"x6". You could crochet as well; the cloth may come out a bit thicker, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I would suggest looking at Lion Brand Yarn for some of their free patterns. I really like them.



What I don't like about it: At first, the loose tulle would get some sticky things (like flour) stuck in it that were a pain to get out. Over time, the tulle has settled in and now no longer does that. I would not pick these colors again; the natural colored cotton hasn't retained too many stains, but it looks a dull gray now. I would definitely pick a medium to darker colored tone next time, or even a multi-layered color scheme.

What I do like about it: The size. It's about half the size of a normal store-bought dishcloth, but it's also thicker. My husband prefers these ones because they fit in his hand without him having to fold it over or deal with all this loose extra fabric while washing dishes. It does just fine wiping the counters even without the extra fold room. I also like the tulle for scrubbing. Especially now that it's settled in around the yarn, it's really pretty effective on non-stick surfaces while staying pretty gentle.

No comments:

Post a Comment