Thursday, August 19, 2010

Healthy, Frugal, Yummy Popsicles and Smoothies


In our house, popsicles are a major relief in the summer. But, I can't stand otterpops or other super sugary popsicles. My kids can, but I just can't even stand having them in the house. We've found a few healthy, yummy, non-sugar laden options at local stores. They're pretty expensive, though.

I also hate wasting those little bits of fruit that just barely don't get consumed or have a slight bruise, etc.

This is why I love, love, love home popsicle molds. (Though you don't actually need them, as shown in this blog - look at the "For a Popsicle" post). And ice cube trays. And my freezer. Here's how I make my favorite summer treat -

Pre-popsicle time:

Whenever cutting/preparing/throwing away fruit, keep a freezer safe container ready. Put in slightly bruised portions, all you can get from fruits that have begun to dehydrate, strawberry tops (leaves haven't poisoned us yet), etc. I even put in leftover bits of fruit that my kids don't finish, since it will be in the freezer and bacteria won't be able to grow. Just don't put anything super slimy or covered in mold... that stuff is good for compost.


Keep the freezer safe bowl with fruit in the freezer until you have enough for or are ready to make popsicles. And make sure you remember where it is, 'cause you don't want freezer burned fruit.


Day of Directions: (basically, making a fruit smoothie)

Frozen fruit bits
Juice/milk/soymilk
popsicle mold or cups/popsicle sticks
Blender
empty Ice Cube Tray (if you have extra)

Put frozen fruit in blender. Add sufficient liquid so the fruit blends. Pour into molds, and stick molds in freezer. If there is leftover, pour into ice cube tray to use for smoothies (sorry for the ugly pic... I had just used ours up, and this at least illustrates the point).


Just wait a few hours and there's yummy, fantastically healthy popsicles. I have yet to feel the need to add sugar to any of these; the variety of fruit seems to keep it from being too tart.


For smoothies - Well, either just use the popsicle mix as a smoothie (that's basically what it is). Or, for a creamy version, put the smoothie cubes from the ice tray in the blender and add juice and cream (I use soy cream, since I don't do much dairy), blend and enjoy. Super easy. And our popsicles and smoothies cost us almost nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment