Friday, June 26, 2009

Spiced Carrot Oatmeal


I normally wouldn't post a recipe I wasn't totally in love with, but as it happens, my kids (ages 1 and 3) loved it. They kept spooning more out of my bowl into theirs. I ended up having to eat the dregs from the pot. I thought it was a little spice heavy and slightly sweet, so if you're not making it for kids, you may want to 1/2 the spices and sweetener.

Ingredients:

1 C liquid (I did 1/2 milk, 1/2 water)
3-4 T carrot juice
1/2 a small carrot, finely shredded
3 T sweetener (I did 2 T brown sugar, 1 T agave nectar)
1/2 t salt
large pinch ginger
large pinch nutmeg
1/2 t cinnamon
3/4 C rolled oats

note: you can use either carrot juice or shredded carrot if you just have/want one. I like to have both so the kids can't pick out the orange specs, plus I love carrot juice.

Mix all the ingredients except the oats in a saucepan. Make sure it tastes right for you before you add the oats. Bring to a boil. Add oats (whatever variety you like) and cook accordingly. For rolled oats, that's about 5 minutes. Cool slightly and serve with a dash of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment