Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sweeteners

Before I go posting any recipes or delicious pictures (or at least I hope delicious pictures) of oatmeal, I feel the need to wander into the world of sweeteners. I know there are multiple kinds of sweeteners out there, and I hope my recipes will be adaptable to most any of them.

In my kitchen, I have: granulated (white) sugar, brown sugar, pasteurized honey, agave nectar, and liquid stevia. I am going to give a brief run down on my feelings for each of these sweeteners in regards to oatmeal.

Granulated (white) sugar ~ I doubt I will ever use this in oatmeal. I feel like it tastes too empty for the robust texture of a good oatmeal. However, when in a pinch, it will work.

Brown Sugar ~ There's light and dark. I don't have a real preference yet. Brown sugar is my favorite for oatmeal at the moment, because it adds some depth that compliments the oats taste and texture.

Honey ~ Currently I only have pasteurized clover honey, but I hope to get some raw honey to experiment with. Different honeys have different tastes, so when in doubt leave the sweetener for last, pull out a small portion, and taste test. I also love honey for oatmeal, but the foretaste is too strong for certain recipes. In general, I will write it when I use honey, but don't hold me to that.

Agave Nectar ~ A great alternative to honey. The flavor isn't as heavy; great for lighter tasting oatmeal. I often combine this with stevia or honey because it's more expensive. Some people like it for the lower glycemic index; some don't because of the high fructose levels.

Stevia ~ You can get it in powder or liquid form. I have it in liquid form. You can find it in most health food stores with herbal supplements. It is not necessarily a supplement; it just isn't FDA approved to be sold as a regular food/sweetener. It also has a lower glycemic index. The only thing about stevia is that some people say it has a bitter aftertaste. For me it isn't necessarily bitter; more like my mouth feels a little dry. I use it to sweeten baking without adding more sugar that necessary. In things like oatmeal (or yogurt), I use it in combination with more rounded sweeteners (like brown sugar, honey, or sometimes agave nectar), as the aftertaste of those sweeteners helps mask the stevia aftertaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment