Friday, August 7, 2009

Homemade Instruments

I just moved to a new area, and I've really missed the musical kids activities that a friend of mine organized. I wanted to do it in my new area, but I don't have that many instruments. A little web searching, creativity, friend brain picking later, and I have three kinds of instruments I'm making: shakers, drums, and wrist bells. I cannot guarantee non-toxicity, though I've done the best I know how. As long as the kids don't swallow a chunk of an instrument it should be fine.

Here are some pictures and a brief description of the first: the shakers. You need a cardboard tube (toilet paper, paper towel), stapler, filler (beans, popcorn, etc.), and duct tape. You can also paint if you'd like, though I suggest a sealer of some kind (silicon spray or decoupage work) to prevent it from coming off with sticky or sweaty little hands.


Here is a picture of a painted shaker (still not completely finished). I forgot to take pictures before I stapled them, but you should be able to see what you do. Staple one side of the cardboard tube. Put in some filler. Close the second opening perpendicular to the first one, and staple. If you want to paint (and seal), do it now. Here's an upclose of the staples:


After your paint/sealer is dry, cut strips of duct tape long enough to cover the staples. I suppose this isn't necessary, but I think it's really important if you want little kids to use them, cause the staples can snag clothes or cause little boo-boos. Here's a picture of one I finished a while ago, and also my 1 1/2 year old playing with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment