Friday, March 26, 2010

Saving Water - Update

We figured out a way to transport the water outside, and I think I'm going to like it. At first, we bought a fairly heavy duty dolly, but it could barely lift the barrel and it was way heavy to move. So, feast your eyes on this:



We found a $10 spa/pool tube, 24 feet long, with connectors. Is it perfect? Heck no! I have to put a bucket under the connection because there's a bit of leakage no matter how tight I get the connector. It gets the water outside my door, though. And from there I can set up a hose to spread the water wherever I need it. Or at least I won't spill water in my house every time I carry a bucket through. Also, once the barrel is emptied, I can roll up the black tubing and carry the barrel back into the garage so I don't have this unsightly blue mass in my yard. So, total, the system cost us $30 (we got our water barrel for $20; they're usually $30 used, $60 new). How much will it save us in water? I have no clue, but I'm sure it will save not only money but peace of mind, so it's totally worth it.

Oh, and just for fun, here's a pretty pick of borage flowers. (Borage is totally edible, leaf and flower, and helps tomatoes and strawberries grow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment