Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Working with Whey - My Oatmeal Dilemma

Several months ago, while discussing healthy foods with a friend, my friend mentioned that she uses her whey (leftover product from making cheese) in her oatmeal. Whey has protein in it, and probably other trace nutrients from milk. I decided to give it a go.

It sucked. I used only whey for my liquid, and the oatmeal tasted like a nasty acrid mush. My mouth still curls in disgust when I think of it. It makes my Dad's oatmeal taste nice. (cringe)

So, I have tried to make whey in oatmeal edible. I've used less of it, etc. No matter what I still taste a little of that acrid tang. I would recommend using it for no more than 1/3 of your oatmeal liquid.

In trying to doctor this up so my kids wouldn't turn their noses up at it, I discovered a nice little combo. Whey and nutmeg. Ground nutmeg helps cover most of the acrid aftertaste. I don't use a lot. Only a pinch. And if you like cinnamon, a small pinch (which goes a long way) is also very yummy.

Also of note, I have discovered there are two different kinds of whey (thank you wikipedia): sweet whey and acid whey. My whey is acid whey (it's leftover from making ricotta). Perhaps I'd have better results with sweet whey, but until I make a cheddar, swiss or rennet cheese, I'll just use nutmeg.

Any successful whey recipes any of ya'll use (including oatmeal)?

1 comment:

  1. I use whey but only a tiny bit. I put two cups of water in a bowl with 1 cup of steel cut oats and 3 T. of whey. I let it soak overnight and in the morning I dump everything in a saucepan and add one more cup of water. It cooks super fast and is always yummy. I don't know what kind of whey I use. I just strain plain yogurt by lining a collander with a thin kitchen towel and I let it sit all day on my counter. Anyways, thats what I do (and Alicia fishbein taught it to me...and if its good enough for the fishbeins it is good enough for me!)

    ReplyDelete